Thursday, October 20, 2011

Viva Algeria, a film






Viva Algeria, a film. English title



This is one of the films that James purchased when the local Hollywood Video store went out of business.



As we had just finished watching "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin" starring the late Leonard Rossiter, we were in need of something that we hadn't viewed before.



This is a fairly recent film, set in Algers. Three women connected by their place of residency - a mother, daughter and a prostitute - live very desperate lives.



Just a warning, there is a very explicit sex scene at the beginning of the movie, after that just one somewhat steamy scene, and implied gay sex scene. Being Gay in Algeria is a crime.



The local scenery in the film is quite interesting, I did not realize that Algers had such a hilly landscape, and so much greenery. The music was really enjoyable.



I needed to wash the dishes, I kept asking Jim what time it was, and yet I could not tear myself away from this film. This film is not for everyone, however, if you enjoy foreign flicks you might want to give it a shot! Just remember I warned you about the sex scene.

No comments: