Monday, August 2, 2010

"Captain Abu Raed" a movie





James and I watched this lovely movie the other evening. What a delightful find going through the delivery boxes at the library. We had never heard of it, so we were totally unprepared for what lay ahead. Also, this is the first Jordanian film we had ever viewed, even after all the years of watching foreign films. We were NOT disappointed, I could watch this many more times.


Basically, Abu Raed an elderly, sad janitor at the airport longs for companionship since his wife has died. Doing his janitorial duties one day, Abu happens upon a discarded airline pilot's hat, and wears it home. On his long walk from his bus stop to his abode, one of the local children notices him with the pilot's hat on, and decides that Abu is an airline pilot. And so a legend is born, if but for a short time. Abu is concerned about the well being of several of the children, two, who along with their mother, are victims of their father's abusive ways. Along the way, Abu develops a wonderful friendship with a young woman, who is from a very wealthy family, and also is a commerical airline pilot. Love comes in many shapes and sizes, and is not always romantic.
Watching this film brought back many memories of my childhood in North Africa. Sights, and the sounds of the language came rushing back as if I had just stepped off a plane.
This is one worthy of consideration. Hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

readingpam said...

I watched this film based on your recommendation and I loved it!! Thank you so much as I am sure I would have missed this one.