Friday, September 24, 2010

"The Circle" a movie


"The Circle" an Iranian movie by Jafar Panahi
James and I watched this film last night. Many thoughts are roaming around in my head regarding this film.
One- this is NOT Light and Fuzzy. It is pretty grim at times, not because of any physical violence or bad language.
Two - it would appear that the only crime any of these women committed was being born a female.
Three - dialogue is sparse, with subtitles, so it is quite easy to follow.
Four - it will make any Western woman be very aware of how very lucky she is to not have been born in some areas of the world.
This is almost done as a docu-drama, takes place in less then 24 hours. At the onset the screen is black - there is nothing wrong with the DVD or your player - you will hear moans, groans and cries, as a baby is brought into the world. The maternal grandmother learns that her daughter has just given birth to a baby girl, and so the journey begins....... Doom and gloom
Having lived in North Africa, I have never taken for granted the freedoms with which I am blessed, by an accident of birth. From now on, I believe that when I hear news of women being imprisoned in Middle Eastern countries, I will consider their plight in an entirely new way.
Maybe this is a film some of you will want to forego, but I hope that this film will make, those of you who do consider watching it, aware of how very hard women in other parts of the world really do have it.

No comments: