Saturday, May 15, 2010


E. O. Wilson is the author of 20 plus books, professor emeritus at Harvard, winner of 2 Pulitzer Prizes for non-fiction, and considered the world's authority on ants.
Anthill is his first work of fiction. Happened upon it at the local bookstore, was intrigued by the cover and the write up.
This is a wonderfully written, coming of age story of Raff. Set in rural Alabama, near the Florida border. Lots of wonderful Southern history - we all know that in the South one doesn't call it the Civil War, but the War Between the States. The middle section is literally all about ant colonies, when I first started reading this section, I thought, " I am not too sure that I want to read this"...... but plunged in, the more I read the more fascinated I became about the life of an ant colony. We then move on to Harvard, and then back to Alabama.
This is a book well worth the time.
James has read some of E.O.'s non-fiction, and has enjoyed his writing and the subject.
Hope that you will give this book a try, and if fiction is not your thing try some of his non-fiction work.
Enjoy

No comments: