Monday, January 3, 2011

"Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" a novel by Tom Franklin


"Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" a novel by Tom Franklin.
I heard the author on NPR one morning, and thought I really want to read this book. After waiting for it for several weeks, I took it home over my end of year week off.
This one went in the pile that I did NOT finish. I knew that there would be some sort of violence, but by page 40 I just couldn't take the violence.
The author states in the very beginning of the book that children in the south are taught to spell "Mississippi" "M-i-crooked letter, crooked letter,-i-crooked letter, crooked letter,-i-humpback-humpback- i". Well, since James grew up in the South, I asked him if he knew what "crooked letter" was, and he said, "of course". Then I asked him if he had been taught to spell Mississippi that way, and he said "of course". Hmmmmm.
Anyway, I am sorry that I could not continue to read this book, but that's the way things go.

No comments: