Saturday, March 9, 2013

"My Beloved World" by Sonia Sotomayor

I just want to share this book with everyone.

Once again NPR, and 60 Minutes, had interviews with Sonia, which created much interest for me. Immediately phoned my local bookstore to order a copy.

Listening to Sonia on NPR - her voice, her way of speaking, her openness - just made her a very important person to learn more about.

Sonia's writing did not disappoint - I could still hear her voice, while reading this.
There are so many interesting things to learn from her book, not just about her life, her family, but about the law and how everything "We as Americans" take for granted. Her Puerto Rican ties to a vast community in the New York city area, plus her family still in Puerto Rico, sheds light on the plight of this Island, whose people are citizens of the USA, and have representation in our national legislature, yet are neither able to vote nor have statehood, these issues Sonia brings very much to light with grace and love.

This is a very important book for all to read - she shares how she was able to gain admittance to Princeton, why she chose not to "clerk" instead wrote a "note" at Yale. Her voice is that not just of Puerto Ricans, her voice is that not just of women, her voice is for all to be able to share in equal justice provided to all who have been graced to live within our country.

When I turned the last page, I was filled with positive thoughts and emotions, and, yet, I wanted more of her words to come off the page.

Enjoy!

No comments: