Thursday, July 8, 2010

"Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman


The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman. What can I say about this book, first in the series, that hasn't already been said???
Philip Pullman based this series on Milton's "Paradise Lost", pretty heavy material for a children's series, but.......
Several years ago, when Mr Pullman was going to tour the USA for his final book in the series - The Amber Spyglass - bookstores across the country were given the opportunity to compete for their area to be the first stop on his tour. Well, five independent bookstores in the Stanwood/Mt. Vernon/Bellingham/Whidbey Island went together and wrote a proposal, lo and behold they won. So, Mr Pullman started his tour in Mt.Vernon, Washington, and because of my close association with the bookstore in Stanwood, I won a front row seat - actually right smack in front of Mr. Pullman. That was a very exciting evening to put it mildly. He autographed everyone's books, and since I had all three of the series, plus one I won, all of my first editions are autographed..... In addition, a dear friend of mine, who lives in England, sent me the English version of "The Amber Spyglass" which is very different from the American version.
I have read these books so many times, I am beginning to be able to quote them. This is about the only series of books that I enjoy listening to, as it has a cast with Mr. Pullman reading the narration.
These books are well written, very thought provoking, and very popular with young and old alike.
Some folks LOVE the Harry Potter books, but I can take them or leave them..... Mr. Pullman's books are MUCH better written and I would certainly want to have at least "The Golden Compass" with me, if I were stranded somewhere.
Hope you will consider - maybe you won't share my enthusiasm for them, maybe you will.

No comments: