Monday, July 19, 2010

Summerland by Michael Chabon


Summerland, by Michael Chabon. A good read for all ages.
As usual, I was listening to NPR, and heard Michael Chabon being interviewed. He stated that he started writing this story when he was 8 years of age.
Set in Washington State, in the Puget Sound area, on Clam Island, Ethan Feld lives with his inventor father, and due to his father's interest in baseball, Ethan is "forced" to play on one of the island's little league teams - Ethan plays almost as bad as his hate for the game. Strange things begin to happen, beings from other universes begin to appear to Ethan, and he is told that he will have to play Coyote, to save not only his father, who has been kidnapped by Coyote, but also to save the Universe.
Clam Island seems to be based on the real island in Washington state, Camano Island, where I live.
When this came out on audio, I purchased it, it is really one of the few books I enjoy hearing read, as the author reads it, and well he should, he developed these characters and knew exactly how they all should sound......
This is a great coming of age novel, and I have a dear friend, university professor who really enjoyed this book as well.
Hope you will consider this one, a good summer read.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I think I'll have a listen! Thanks for the review! Jane