Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Housekeeping" by Marilynne Robinson


"Housekeeping" by Marilynne Robinson
This is one of my favorite books. This should have won a Pulitzer when it was first published, but since it was Marilynne's first book, well, it didn't.
My very best friend, roomed with Marilynne at the U of Washington some time ago. They still keep in touch, so, I was fortunate enough to have my first edition signed by Marilynne. Thank you, Marilynne.
The writing in this book is so utterly wonderful, I would really suggest that everyone give it a try.
Marilynne describes a large piece of driftwood at one point, I was absolutely stunned when one day walking on the beach on Camano Island, I happened upon the piece she had written about. Unfortunately, time as done a number on the driftwood, so one would probably not recognize it anymore.
The movie version was done about as faithfully as any I have ever seen.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Thanks for the book Recommendation, Mrs. Jones..I don't have much time for pleasure reading, so I can't waste time on bad books.