Thursday, June 17, 2010

When the Game Was Ours

Driving home from work, as usual listening to NPR, I heard the most interesting interview with Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, about the book they decided to co-write. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview to the point that I wanted to read the book.

Not being much of a basketball fan, but knowing some of the game's well known figures, Larry and Magic are certainly two figures who I probably know the most about, and yet in reading of their book, I discovered I didn't know nearly as much about them as I thought.

This is a very interesting look at their joint careers over the 13 years they played for Boston Celtics (Larry) and Lakers (Magic). They came from somewhat similiar backgrounds, pretty much the same area of the country, and went to 2 high profile universities. I really enjoyed the way they wove each chapter as point/counterpoint to each other. Over the years, they developed a unique relationship, and eventually became friends.

If you are into statistics, at the back of the book there are 6 pages of them. The most interesting fact is, that in the 13 years they played against each, between the two of them they scored almost 40,000 points!

So, if you are a basketball fan, and want something enjoyable to read, well give this one a shot.

No comments: