Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin


In an earlier post, I wrote about the movie version of this book, same title.

Naturally, knowing that Hollywood would concentrate on the more "romantic" parts of the story, I decided that I needed to read the story told by Li Cunxin. I had checked the book at the library, however, as there were many others who also wanted to read the book, I was unable to renew it, and I was only about a third of the way through - so I ordered the book at the local bookstore, and waited for it. It was well worth the wait.

To say that I was NOT disappointed with the book is putting it mildly - I LOVED the book. Although the film was pretty accurate, I was right about Hollywood's take on the story. The first 260 pages of the book are dedicated to Cunxin's childhood in his village and then his years of study at the Beiing Ballet Academy, the remaining pages are dedicated to his time in Houston and his career in the world of ballet. It was hard to put the book down, and it was equally as hard to have the book end, it was such a well written story.

I hope that you will consider reading the book.
Happy reading!

No comments: